Welcome to today’s celebration of London theatre spaces. Today we’re looking at venues beginning with “D”. It hosts the Comedy Lock club each week and
Camden Lock’s flagship music, comedy and cabaret venue opened in 1973 as a dance hall. It hosts the Comedy Lock club each week and has a capacity of 500.
The Dominion, a Grade II listed West End venue outside Tottenham Court Road station, was opened as a cinema in 1929 with seating across three levels. It was built on the site of the former Horse Shoe Brewery.
From the 1980s the Dominion operated as a music venue (with the upper circle now blocked off), and since the mid-80s has hosted a succession of large-scale musicals. It currently hosts The Prince of Egypt and is owned by the Nederlander Organisation.
The Donmar Warehouse is a 251-seat theatre in Seven Dials. It opened in 1977 and its current artistic director is Michael Longhurst. The name Donmar comes from the company founded by producer Donald Albery in 1953, who named it for himself and his wife, Margaret.
Opened first a studio house for the Royal Shakespeare Company (as the “Warehouse”), the Donmar was acquired by Roger Wingate in 1990. It is now owned by ATG but operated independently by the Donmar on a non-profit basis.
The Drayton Arms Theatre, a professional fringe venue, is situated above the pub of the same name, a short walk from Gloucester Road station. After the Second World War the space was used for BBC rehearsals.
From 1985 the theatre was known as the Drayton Studio; following a five-year period of closure it reopened as the Drayton Arms Theatre in 2010. Its current programming director is Audrey Thayer.
The Duchess is a West End theatre near Aldwych which opened in 1929. Grade II listed, it seats 494 making it one of the smallest commercial theatres. It has been the home of Mischief Theatre’s The Play That Goes Wrong since 2014 and is owned by Nimax Theatres.
The Dugdale Centre is an arts and business centre in Enfield Town, with a studio theatre seating 139. Opened in 2011, it is owned by the London Borough of Enfield and is part of the Millfield Arts Centre family.
Duke of York’s
The Duke of York’s is a West End theatre in St Martin’s Lane. It opened in 1892 as the Trafalgar Square Theatre, but by 1895 it became the Duke of York’s, named for thr future king George V.
A Grade II listed building, it is now owned by ATG. Originally there was seating on four levels but it now seats 640 in a three-level configuration.