Part 2 of a chronological favourites list. See notes for thoughts on each film.
- LifeboatA claustrophobic Hitch with sultry Tallulah Bankhead on top form.
- The Maltese FalconA remake, but a classy one. Almost everything about it is perfection.
- Mildred PierceCrawford chews the scenery in this superior soap opera.
- Now, Voyager“Let’s not ask for the moon, we have the stars.”
- Odd Man OutA thoughtful and atmospheric drama from Carol Reed.
- ‘Pimpernel’ SmithHoward returns as a modern ‘Pimpernel’ in this patriotic anti-Nazi war film.
- All About EveBette Davis announces a ‘bumpy night’ for one and all.
- An American in ParisBecause the ballet at the end is perfect, and the rest of the film is fun.
- Born YesterdayIf only for the delight of the gin rummy scene.
- From Here to EternityMonty Clift as the bugle boy, Lancaster and Kerr roll in the surf, and Donna Reed is the most genteel of ladies of the night.
…plus 10 more. View the full list on Letterboxd.